7.09.2010

Lebron fallout



I hope all of this is the last I will mention of all this free agency drama, but only time will tell.

As you have probably heard by now, Dan Gilbert issued an open letter to Cavs fans shortly after Lebron's reality tv special was over last night. Here is the letter. I would now like to rip this letter step by step.

"...who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening"
Cheap shot number one from Mr. Gilbert. If I was 25 and my options were to stay in Cleveland or go down to Miami with my best friends I would make the same exact decision. Hell, this team makes ME want to move down to SOBE at some point in the next year or two.

"You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal."
Actually, you do. I have been comparing Kevin Garnett to Lebron for about eight hours now and I will probably continue to do so for the rest of the summer. He was stuck in a very similar situation for a few more seasons. I don't blame Lebron for not wanting that to happen to him.

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE
You can take it to the bank. "
Who exactly does Gilbert plan on acquiring with his spare parts on his roster? They have less than ten million to work with under the salary cap and no player is going to want to play there now. I know it is good to be optimistic but I don't think you should be publicly lying to your franchise on the night it's biggest superstar ever just walked.

"Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.
Sorry, but that's simply not how it works."
Ok, first off why is Gilbert trying to connect all of this spirituality nonsense with this Lebron thing? Who made him God?

"This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become."
I think he is trying to say that we should teach our children to make as much money as possible, but never to worry about your own happiness and to make competing secondary. In a sport where you are defined by how many titles you win, Lebron decided to go somewhere where he will make a little bit less money, but more than likely win plenty of titles. Maybe if Cleveland could have acquired someone of the likes of Pau Gasol, Ron Artest, Kevin Garnett, or Ray Allen, none of this would have happened. Instead, the running mates they acquired for him included Wally Szczerbiak, Ben Wallace (not playing like Ben Wallace for the most part), Delonte West (who supposedly banged Lebron's mom), Mo Williams, Anthony Parker, Antwan Jamison, and an old Shaq. While Jamison and Williams are good players, neither is someone I would build a championship roster around.

"Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day.... "
Sorry, but this is also not true. Cleveland fans are in for a long bumpy ride now.


One other thing I would like to make commentary on is the fact that Dan Gilbert is saying that Lebron quit during the playoffs the last two seasons. I would love to give a long winded tirade about Delonte West, Lebron's elbow, playing over 100 games per season (Olympics and Playoffs included), and the Celtics being a great team, but I don't have to do all of that. It is simple. If Lebron quit on the team during the playoffs at any point, why would you want to give him $128 million for six more seasons and keep him as the face of the city? Why were you going to try to get Chris Bosh as his running mate? Winning doesn't matter to you, money does! I say, the Cavs are completely in the wrong in all of this and Lebron is a genius for leaving. The only thing he did wrong was publicly drive the stake through Cleveland's heart. Now that I know what a prick Dan Gilbert is though, I am GLAD he did things the way he did.





Again, these are just highlights and I want to see the whole games again now, but I don't see how Lebron could've "quit" in those other games.


I hope to not make any more mentioning of Dan Gilbert this summer, but we will see what happens. I can say that Cleveland has yet to make any moves since all the statements were issued. Miami has already signed Mike Miller. Miami will be filling this roster with decent players, minimum salary be damned.

With Michael Beasley in Miami now, you know Al Jefferson will be getting traded soon. I think teams will hold out until his value goes down even more, now that all GMs know about Minnesota's crowded frontcourt.

In the next couple days, I will write about the idea of Shaq and Tm Duncan on the same team, at the same time. I don't care how old they are, you better be fouling them whenever you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment