6.12.2010

Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal

I had about two, almost three opportunities to see Gang Starr in the late 90s. The first time was at Darien Lake at Smokin Grooves 1998, I admit to being only 17 at the time and only being a very small Gang Starr fan back then. It was over the next year or two that I would really understand how much of an impact this group would have on my life. My next opportunity to see them wasn't really an opportunity, but more of an "awe fuck man Gang Starr is playing HERE soon?" I was in Montreal visiting some friends that had ridden bikes there from Rochester. We were walking around Montreal one day when I vaguely recall seeing Gang Starr posters plastered all over town for an upcoming show that would occur after I was already back in Rochester. Strike two. About a month or two later, I was going to visit my friend Ben in Buffalo. He had recently gone away to college so I figured I would go visit him for a couple days. The day before I was to leave, my friend Scott called me and told me Gang Starr was playing at UB that weekend. I was stoked, I just had to convince Ben to go. Since Reel Big Fish was on the bill, that never happened. We ended up riding bikes to Discovery Records instead. As fun as that LONG bike ride was, I will never forget that I had an opportunity (my last real one) to see Gang Starr in my own backyard. Within four years, the group was feuding heavily (allegedly) and would never reunite again.
I must say, I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of Keith Elam aka Guru aka Baldhead Slick on April 19, 2010. A lot of amazing and important people in our culture have passed on in the last few years, but I think this one probably hit me the hardest.
Hip-hop lost one of its greatest MCs, but more importantly the world lost one of its real great people. Fortunately, Guru will always live on with his music. When I first came up with the idea of doing this piece, I knew it would end up being almost two months out of date. I figured what might make it worthwhile would be to include a sort of discography of sorts to all of Gang Starr's videos. Even I didn't realize how many videos they really had. I was expecting to find around 10, not twenty! I know the Militia isn't on here, that is because I am planning a separate piece for this weekend with the usage of that video. So just know it will be on here shortly. i didn't include any Jazzmatazz either, something I really need to catch up on.
Finally, I realize the last video isn't an official Gang Starr video, but that clip defines my generation. In fact if I were to contribute to a 14607 1990s time capsule, that and photographs would be my only contributions.

As always, this blog is a work in progress. Please feel free to e mail me at ninetyfourfeettoglory@yahoo.com with any constructive criticisms. Enjoy the videos!





































No comments:

Post a Comment