5.27.2011

The NBA Finals are taking their talents to South Beach

After 11 months of hype (and a lot of failed hope for some), the Heat have reached the NBA Finals. Aside from a match up with the Lakers, things really couldn't have been scripted much better than this. You have a rematch of the 2006 NBA Finals- a real chance for Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry to redeem themselves. This will also be a chance for Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem to get another ring, and it would obviously be pretty sweet for Lebron James and Chris Bosh to parade around South Beach with the NBA trophy in just their first season there. Dallas also has a few hungry veterans on their team, with Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, and Tyson Chandler having played in 269 combined playoff games heading into these finals. It is obvious that both teams are going to be hungry, but unfortunately only one will walk away with the Larry O'Brien trophy.

I was correct when it mattered, for the most part I guess. I would have expected the Eastern Conference Finals to go to at least six games though. I guess the Bulls are still a player or two away from taking that next step. As a huge fan of the sport of basketball itself, I will personally be happy no matter what the outcome of this series is. But I have said a few times over the season that I would enjoy watching the Heat win the title in the face of all their critics, Mark Cuban included. I think a lot of people expected the Heat to be here in their first or year or two, but I feel a few fans have to at least be surprised at how easily they got there. Same goes for Dallas I guess. As I have said, I give Dallas plenty of credit. I did not even expect them to get passed the Trail Blazers. Dallas has been shocking me throughout the playoffs but against Oklahoma City, I wasn't as surprised. I put the Thunder in a very similar category as the Bulls. They are two young and exciting teams, that lack the experience that will help carry them into the Finals. The talent is there for both teams, it just needs to develop a bit more for a few of the players.
Both of these teams should be well rested heading into Tuesday's opening game in Miami. On paper, Dallas has a much deeper roster and their bench could tell the tale in this series. If Rick Carlisle can find an adequate balance for his players and find a way to shut Lebron and Wade down, they will be able to win this series easily. I know there's the whole team chemistry thing, but you have to wonder how much Caron Butler could help in shutting down the Heat's Big Three. Again, Dallas has been playing some of the best basketball in the NBA over the last few months so if anyone can beat the Heat, it's them. You would think that bringing Butler back at less than 100% probably would negative impact the Mavs' chemistry. At the same time, Dallas is going to have their hands full when Lebron, Wade, and Bosh are all at full steam. I am going with the team I have been rooting for all throughout the playoffs and I am going to pick the Heat in six games.

No comments:

Post a Comment