4.23.2011

Heavy Metal Kings show review

The Heavy Metal Kings tour hit Rochester on Thursday night. I missed the opening act like a dick and got there just in time for King Syze to hit the stage. He is another Philadelphia MC that I had heard a few times over the years, both on the AOTP records and on his Syzemology LP. I liked seeing him live, but the energy wasn't quite what I had hoped for and the beats didn't sound all that loud through the system to me. I'll chalk it up to a bad night and me being more excited to see Paz and Bill than anything else. He did get the crowd warmed up though. As I have mentioned before, seeing Vinnie Paz was a big deal to me as I have been a fan of Jedi Mind Tricks for some time now. Listening to some of the older Jedi Mind Tricks songs brings back memories of where I was when I first heard them and I obviously love nostalgia. Ill Bill is one artist that has always slipped through the cracks for me for some reason. This made me happy to hear that Paz and Bill would be sharing the stage. They did just as I thought they would, jumping back and forth from some of Ill Bill's solo stuff (as well as Non-Phixion and I think there was a La Coka Nostra song in the mix too) to all of the Paz work. It was a good mix of Jedi Mind Tricks classics, a couple AOTP joints, as well as a few of Paz's more recent solo songs. King Syze joined them to do his work on AOTP's classic "Battle Cry." As expected, they closed with Heavy Metal Kings. I guess my only complaint would be that they only played for about an hour. I was hoping for more, but for ten bucks I guess I can't really complain. It was great finally seeing Vinnie Paz live on stage and hopefully next time it will be with Jedi Mind Tricks or possibly the whole entire AOTP crew.


No comments:

Post a Comment