3.22.2011

I knew I got back into card collecting at the right time!

Over the last seven months, I have put my girlfriend through a lot of boring hours, just so I can chase a few random pieces of cardboard around town. We have spent hours at many different Targets, Wal Marts, and various other stores that might have some random basketball cards from the last few years. As I have gotten back into this extremely nerdy hobby, I have noticed that Panini has cornered the market on basketball cards. This season, just as 2010 had come to a close, I had already completed base sets of Prestige, Rookies and Stars, and Threads. I then went on and bought a few boxes of Donruss and it was then that I realized that Panini was seeing a lot of my money. That trend is only going to continue with the announcement that Panini CEO Mark Warsop made yesterday. Warsop unveiled Panini HD, which will be the card industry's first video card. I am glad that it took this long to produce and I have the utmost faith in Panini coming out with a great product yet again. The video cards are expected to be dropped into several of Panini's products later this year. They are also announcing another Panini-Exclusive athlete in the next couple weeks. This player will join Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, and John Wall. If I had to guess, I would say it will be either Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, or Brian Scalabrine. While the card industry isn't nearly as strong as it was twenty years ago, it is still great to know that Panini will continue to release great basketball cards for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment