6.26.2010

NBA Free Agent Madness v. 1

All of us hardcore hoops heads have been waiting for this week for at least two years now. I started thinking about it when Lebron and company historically signed shorter contract extensions in 2006. As someone who loves playing fantasy basketball, I knew 2010 could potentially be an interesting summer. I didn't realize until this passed trade deadline how many teams were actually going to try to do a complete overhaul of their rosters. Call me crazy, but I think that if I were Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, or any of the number of other marquee free agents, I would want to go to a roster that already had a sense of team chemistry in place. Currently, the Heat and Knicks have next to nothing of value under contract. Granted, we know the Heat are going to resign Wade and possibly get two other big names. But what do the Knicks have to offer from a basketball standpoint currently? Yes, New York is the biggest city in the US for many BUSINESS decisions, but he can still make business moves there (and anywhere else) and be one of the richest athletes of all time regardless of where he signs his next NBA contract. On the court however, the Knicks offer three or four decent prospects to build around Lebron. David Lee is a free agent too, so getting him back would cost a little bit more this time around. The four players the Knicks currently have under contract are: Eddy Curry, Wilson Chandler, Toney Douglas, and Danillo Galinari. Eddy Curry is the biggest draft bust of all time in my opinion, even more so than Kwame Brown and Sam Bowie. What do I know though? The other three players are all great prospects, but none would really make me want to come to New York if I were one of the 2010 free agents. There are a couple other teams that haven't been mentioned much with the teams that are under the cap that might make a little noise, mainly the Dallas Mavericks. Everything is all speculation at this point, but the possibility of Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd, and Lebron James all in Dallas next year is ridiculous. All of the signings will beging at 12:00AM Thursday. Most people at this point seem to think that everything will start with what Lebron's decision ends up being. At least six teams plan to "wine and dine" the player in the coming days ( Nets, Clippers, Bulls, Heat, Knicks, and Cavs ) I think it is pretty ridiculous to think that a 25 year old is about to change the landscape of the NBA forever. I wonder who's had more blog articles written about them recently: Lebron or Stephen Strasburg. Anyway...

The other big non-free agent news this weekend is that Kendrick Perkins may have torn his ACL as well. Looks like Luke Harangody and Brian Scalabrine might get some serious burn next year! I wonder if any team has gone from the basement to the penthouse back to the basement in such a short span before. Now I realize that this team will be a lot better now than in 2006, even without Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kendrick Perkins. I really don't see why Paul Pierce would want to leave the Celtics though.

Sherron Collins is going to the Bobcats.

No comments:

Post a Comment