6.30.2010

Forked Tongues/ Free Agency kickoff/Survival of the Dead






I went to the Such Gold show last night. It was really hot and I was really dizzy for some reason so I only stayed for Forked Tongues. If it hasn't rained yet, further evidence is outside some place next to Heat aka Soho(s). I wish I would've thrown up right on the door to that place, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time. Anyway, it would be really thoughtful of Dub Land to get an AC or maybe even a fan. Just sayin...
I only really saw Forked Tongues so I can't really comment on any of the other bands unfortunately. They were really good though. If you haven't heard them yet, check out their myspace It is great to see kids checking them out. I've known Dave and Chris for quite a while now and I know they put a lot of hard work into all of their music so it's good to see them get their due in Rochester finally. Their sound is a lot darker than their previous bands, and definitely heavier. The kids definitely eat it up though. Keep it up guys, good things are coming!




-The NBA's free agency period officially kicks off in 15 hours and I will be looking into ANY available information between now and training camp.

Lebron rumors are EVERYWHERE. It seems like every one has a theory for him to end up on the Heat, Bulls, Cavs, Knicks, Nets, Mavs, and Rockets. And of course the Rockets is my own personal dream theory. I still think the Bulls and Heat are his most likely destinations, with the Nets and Mavs picking up steam. The Nets trading Yi yesterday pulls them just about even with the Heat, depending on who you believe. What will happen if Lebron, Wade, and Bosh all end up on the same team? Will they be able to coexist? How many championships would that three be the centerpiece for?

I've never thought that Dwyane Wade was going to leave Miami. He is more than likely going to add a couple of the marquee free agents to his team. I would expect that to be a power forward and a wing player. I don't like the pairing of him with Lebron, but I know they will pursue that rout if given the opportunity.

Chris Bosh is in no way, shape, or form returning to Toronto this season. A lot of people expect him to pair with Lebron or Dwyane Wade, or both. I expect to see him on the Heat, Bulls, or Knicks next season. I hope houston makes a strong push for him though.

Once you get through the big three, there is Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson, Dirk Nowitzki, Amare Stoudemire, Carloz Boozer, Rudy Gay, David Lee, Ray Allen, John Salmons, Luis Scola, Brendan Haywood, Richard Jefferson, Ronnie Brewer, Tyrus Thomas, Raymond Felton, Al Harrington, and Brian Scalabrine.

Paul Pierce has officially added his name to the list of players that will become available in the morning. I would retire a Celtic if I were him. While I do think he might just be testing the waters, an offer might get made that the Celtics choose to refuse. This is quickly turning into Rajon Rondo's team. This team might end up losing a lot this summer.

I've always liked the idea of Joe Johnson STAYING in Atlanta, but that doesn't seem all that likely with the offers he is about to field. If anyone else offers him a max contract, I doubt he will go to New York. Unfortunately, Johnson will be the best free agent the Knicks get a response from and thus he will get their max offer. Other options still include the Heat and Bulls. If Bosh and Lebron go to Miami, I think Johnson is almost a lock to the Bulls. The Rockets and Mavs also could make some noise via sign and trade.

I've said all along I doubt Dirk will go anywhere else, However if Amare leaves Phoenix, they could make an offer for an interesting reunion between Dirk and Steve Nash.

I would like to see Amare Stoudemire stay in Phoenix so they can build on what they have. They will need to pay him very well in order to do that. The Knicks, Nets, Heat, and Bulls all could still make a pitch for his services.

I know Utah wants to keep Carlos Boozer, but as with Joe Johnson in Atlanta, I doubt they will want to match a max offer. The Knicks and Nets will likely be able to have the flexibility to do this and this is where I think he will end up. The Bulls remain a strong option too.

At this point if the Bulls, Heat, Nets, and Knicks don't each have two of those eight players, they will begin to scramble a bit at the second tier of free agents. I don't see any immediate movement with this group of players so I'll speculate more on that later.




Last weekend, I went to see Survival of the Dead at the Dryden. I am not usually a fan of zombie or horror movies for that matter, but I feel a certain amount of respect is owed to George Romero. I'm not sure what the deal with his last couple movies has been, a lot of short run/straight to video. Most people I told I was going to or had seen this movie had no idea it was even released. As I mentioned before, these kind of movies aren't usually my bag. I did however find myself entertained throughout most of the movie. Some of the "zombie kills" were very creative and entertaining to say the least (was that a mushroom or someone's head slicing in half?). The characters also use a lot of funny, overly cheesy one liners left and right. And there is definitely a "Samuel L. Jackson in Deep Blue Sea" moment in this movie. Of course, the finale had me feeling like I was playing Left 4 Dead. Against other zombie movies, I would give this a decent review, as I was entertained all the way to the end.






If you would like to contribute anything, trade links, or tell us what a horrible blog this is, send an e mail to ninetyfourfeettoglory@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment