6.25.2010

Draft recap

I swear this is the last NBA draft post. There will be plenty of free agency posts next week though!

-Luke Babbitt was all over draft boards and eventually landed in Portland (Via Minnnesota). While Portland will be the better team by far, he pobably would have had more playing time in Minnesota. I guess this will give him time to season at the wing around a few veteran players.
- There seemed to be a bit more trading than usual. That is my excuse for doing such a horrible job on that mock draft. In all, eleven trades were made last night. Oklahoma City was involved in five of these trades. Already a team on the rise, I think the addition of Cole Aldrich will help them immensely on the defensive end. Also as a Kansas fan, I love pairing him with Nick Collison. From what I have seen, while they will have the flexibility for a marquee free agent this summer, Oklahoma is more likely to keep building from within the organization. Chicago also made out pretty well. By trading Kirk Hinrich and Kevin Serraphin to Washington, they now have enough money to find a Robin for Batman (Lebron). The Bulls are going to be my least favorite team again real soon. Miami is also very close to having the flexibility to sign THREE of the big time free agents next week. That would be insane.
-I was surprised Ed Davis slipped to Toronto, although I guess someone will have to help replace Chris Bosh this season.
-The Pacers may or may not have made the steals of the draft in Paul George and Lance Stephenson. They will be both likely become projects on a pretty bad Pacers roster. I wouldn't be all that surprised if neither ever averages more than 25 minutes in a season.
- Reporters from ESPN and Yahoo have already been comparing Luke Babbitt to Luke Jackson. I think a carreer change may be in order for Mr. Babbitt.
- So far to me, the steals of the draft are Devin Ebanks (the rich get richer?), all four of the Heat's picks (a player that skipped college and went to the NBDL for a season, a player that tore up his knee in the final four, and two potentially nasty big men), James Anderson (been high on this kid ever since I saw him light it up against Kansas. I know he can score), and Demarcus Cousins. Cousins easily could have been the first or second pick of the draft. He will be one of the top centers for many years to come. This is too weak of a draft in my opinion to list all of the potential busts. I don't see more than five or ten potential all stars here so anyone that has a full career in the NBA will not be a bust in my opinion.
- Interestingly enough, Luke Harangody goes from Notre Dame Fighting Irish to the Boston Celtics. Brian Scalabrine will no doubt teach him about the excitement of being an overpaid athlete that gets to sit on the sidelines in suits for 75 out of 82 games each season.
- The Bulls, Bobcats, Cavs, and Nuggets all failed to make an appearance in this draft. I guess technically the Bulls made an appearance.
- I would call the Kings, Bulls, and Thunders the winners of this draft. I think it is really too early to tell who the real losers of this draft are. I would like to say it's the Knicks, but I would rather see how everything plays out first.

Free agency starts next week. Things are going to get crazy. I will post a rumors recap on Monday morning.
In non-NBA news, I will be posting a bunch of reviews over the weekend. A few good new records have come out lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment